Friday, December 7, 2012

Tree Stump

Hello,

One of the things that I wanted to do in Japan was go to an Onsen or hot springs.  I knew a little bit about them from other sources and I even went to a small foot bath one in California.  I was overwhelmed by it when I did go though, mostly by the smell and then by how hot it was even just inside the building.  It was very relaxing when I got used to it though and very much enjoyed the chestnut sauna that they had.

I had walked to the Onsen, so on the way back I took a different way and that's where the picture came from.  I don't know what kind of tree it was but it looked interesting anyway.  Mostly I saw the curved inward bark that circled back into the trunk of the tree as it was alive.  The growth rings seem to fade and vanish into itself and there is no real center of the tree either.  The termite damage is just right as well, then the weathered man-made damage tells it's age.

Thank you very much.